Monday, March 06, 2006

 

Firefighters and nurses

Our family had quite the fill of emergencies last week. As we were driving around Saturday night we all spotted huge looms of smoke filling the sky. The kids were very curious to see where the fire was, so off we went.
Yes, entertainment options are limited with three little ones.
As I’ve soon learned, smoke in the sky can be quite deceptive when it comes time to figure out exactly where it is located. Heading in the general direction, I figured it was in St. Albert or the North part of Edmonton. As we headed further south, it was evident that we were not the only ones going to check out the fire. It took almost 20 minutes to drive down 127th street.
We found a spot to park and walked the kids over to the eastern knoll overlooking 127th street. It was an amazing view of the unfortunate fire that had engulfed Supreme Plating.
There is nothing like seeing huge flames, smoke everywhere and firemen giving it their all to get the kids going. We were among a hundred people or so.
The memorable part of the evening was when, after I had been predicting for about ten minutes that the third building was going to come down and it did, the lovely young lady standing next to me who was not paying attention and chatting with others said “Oh, I missed it!” I won’t tell you who she is to protect her identity. (Rhymes with knife)
Our emergency themed weekend continued on Sunday. We had just finished brunch at Krickets (great breakfast!) and my daughter Mackenzie decided to do her parallel bars routine between two chairs. As her hands gave way, her face was promptly introduced to the hard solid floor. Ouch!
Knocking herself (and one front tooth) out in the process, we ventured on over to see the great folks at Sturgeon Hospital. I can’t tell you how impressed I was with the nursing staff and the doctor. They gave prompt and thorough attention the whole way through.
My wife was even fortunate enough to see some young strong firemen walk in the emergency room in their full gear. “Ooooh, firemen!” she said, trying to get a rise out of me.
As we both looked out into the hall where the firemen were standing, I jibed back “I wish they would get out of the way, they’re blocking my view of the nurses.”
I’m happy to report that Mackenzie is 100% now (less whatever percentage you would assign to one front tooth). The tooth fairy came for a visit, left some cash and a book and Mackenzie is all semi-toothless smiles again.
Her gymnastics future is still debatable.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?